Held from Thursday to Sunday last week at Palm Beach, Florida, the Barrett-Jackson’s 16th annual auction has grossed a total sales of $39.4 million with almost 700 vehicles sold to the highest bidders. There were also 380 collectible automobile items fetching $702,000 in total and a couple of charity vehicles raising $450,000.
Several classic cars from the Cars of Dreams Collection managed to set new records at the auction. They include the 1963 Volkswagen “Herbie” Beetle that sold for $128,700, a 1966 Ford Good Humor Truck that fetched $117,700, a 1970 Superbird that drew a final price of $286,000, and a 1959 Desoto Adventurer Convertible that brought a new record price of $330,000.
The two charity vehicles that sold in the auction were a 2006 Ferrari F430 Spider at $250,000, with the price fully benefiting Camp Southern Ground; and a 1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary Edition at $200,000 to benefit the American Heart Association.
There was one thing we were curious about, and it was how much a 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition – which also participated in this auction – would sell. Years ago as a brand new, the limited supercar would set buyers back at $445,000; but last week when it was about to go to the Palm Beach auction, we were almost sceptical about the car’s capability to break its original price.
However, as the auction results came out, we’re proven wrong with our scepticism. Now we’re fully convinced that the Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition’s value has increased dramatically. The supercar reached a final price of $770,000, making it the top seller at the auction. Meanwhile, all the top ten results are as follows:
- 2012 Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition – $770,000
- 1959 DeSoto Adventurer Convertible – $330,000
- 1970 Plymouth Superbird – $286,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Custom Convertible – $275,000
- 2006 Ford GT – $244,200
- 1959 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible – $231,000
- 1957 DeSoto Adventurer Convertible – $231,000
- 1956 DeSoto Fireflite Convertible – $225,500
- 1959 Dodge Custom Royal Super D-500 Convertible – $220,000
- 1960 Chevrolet Corvette 283/290 Fuelie Convertible – $209,000